The RCBF is proud to partner with ABVI - The Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired of Greater Rochester to offer free vision screenings for pre-schoolers aged 6 months to five years at this year's festival on Nov. 4th. This quick, non-invasive, non-verbal screening can detect vision defects normally not caught until children are school aged.
Did you know . . . ?
• One in every four school-aged children has an undetected vision problem?
• Undetected vision problems in children can lead to blindness?
• Parents, teachers and primary care doctors cannot detect most vision problems?
• Vision problems can cause impairment in learning and developing in school?
• Most vision problems are treatable if detected early enough?
Early Vision Screening (EVS), a program of the Association for the Blind & Visually Impaired (ABVI) provides
FREE vision screenings!
• Using a device that works like a camera, measurements are taken of the eyes without any physical contact.
• Using picture cards, eye charts, or eye drops are not necessary.
• The device works on children as young as 6-months old.
• The screening literally takes seconds and yields immediate and accurate results.
If your child is found with a vision problem we will know right away. You will be referred to an eye doctor near you for a comprehensive eye examination. Free eye exams can be scheduled for families without medical insurance.
A vision screening can help prevent vision loss for your child in the future!